Board of Directors/2017-12-05/Minutes


Jump to: navigation, search

[edit] Status of this document

This document is official. It has been adopted by the board at the 2018-01-02 meeting. It can be amended at any board meeting.

[edit] Attending


Absent with Regret:

Quorum was achieved.


  • None

[edit] Meeting

[edit] Call to Order

The meeting was called to order by Brett at 17:33. Brett recorded the minutes.

[edit] Agenda

Moved by Cindy Drake seconded by Igor Grujic that the Agenda be adopted as presented. Carried.

[edit] Minutes

Minutes from the board meetings of 2017-10-03 and 2017-10-31, and the general meeting of 2017-11-07 were not available. They will be presented at the next board meeting.

[edit] Incidents

On November 25, Pincher SAR was called out to assist Lethbridge SAR on an incident Cardston for a missing recently diagnosed Alzheimer's sufferer. Four members responded. The subject was found and Pincher SAR was stood down before members arrived.

[edit] Provincial SAR

Brett reported that the member organizations meet in Drayton Valley on October 21 to address the audit controversy. Brett attended representing Pincher SAR. The member organizations decided not to seek a more formal audit. Instead they required the board to develop policies in several areas that should prevent a recurrence of the issue.

The SAR Alberta President has resigned, 6 months into the 2 year term. The Vice President, David Kaufman, automatically succeeds as President. However he is seeking ratification of his new position from the membership or will resign to force a byelection at the April AGM.

Pincher SAR along with many other groups received a letter titled "#metoo in our backyard" which highlighted a statement that sexual assault, harassment and bullying could occur between SAR volunteers in Alberta. Brett and Cindy will prepare a response.

[edit] CRG / RCMP

January 2018 will mark 1 year since Pincher SAR split up into the formal SAR group and the Community Response Group. Brett will meet next week with Wanda Burchert of the CRG and Jeff Feist for the RCMP to review how the split has gone and how best to serve the needs of the lost person.

[edit] Adminstrator's Report

The administrator's report was not available.

[edit] Financial Statements

The financial statements were not available, having been delayed getting the year end's audit completed.

[edit] Audit

The Auditors met with the Administrator on December 4. They requested some changes and anticipate completing the audit shortly.

[edit] Bank Signing Authorities

With new board members, we need to update our signing authorities at the bank. Rose will arrange for the changes.

Moved by Igor Grujic, seconded by Frank Melo that the signing authority on the Pincher Creek Search and Rescue Society's bank accounts at the Alberta Treasury Branch be any two of

  • Igor Grujic (Treasurer)
  • Rose Bonertz (Administrator)
  • Brett Wuth (President)
  • Cindy Mauthe (Director-at-Large)


[edit] Approval of cheques over $500 or outside budget

Moved by Brett Wuth, seconded by Igor Grujic that payment of $766.40 to Rose Bonertz for administrator's services in the months of September and October be approved. Carried.

Moved by Brett Wuth, seconded by Igor Grujic that payment of $1,432.50 to Rose Bonertz for administrator's services in the month of November be approved. Carried.

[edit] Year's Plan

The board reviewed the year's plan of major activities. Last year the board was unable to meet during the summer. This year it will move the budgeting process up 2 months, so that it can be completed by the August deadline, but will still schedule meeting in the summer in case the process is not complete.

[edit] Training

Brett outlined a training schedule for the year. Tonight is training on using the wiki. Next month is first aid scenarios. December 23 is a snowshoe into Lille.

Brett attended the CSA workshop in Drayton Valley on November 3. There was good material included on adult education techniques.

LASARA and Pincher SAR are in discussions about reworking the SAR Basics course to assess and recognize existing competencies. The board requested that changes not create too condensed learning for novices.

[edit] Fundraising

The MD and Town have approved the full funding request for 2018 that we submitted in 2016.

Shell has approved the full Social Investment Fund request.

We've applied to the OFC for the provincial training grant and should hear back in the new year.

We need to apply for the Shell Community Service Fund grant by the end of the year.

[edit] Equipment

The Equipment Committee needs a new chair.

Frank reported that the Mobile Command Post is not producing enough heat in the cabin to easily clear the windscreen.

[edit] Call-Out

Nichole has volunteered to assist the Call-Out Team.

[edit] Strategic Planning

The Board reviewed the plan for increasing participation and recruiting new members. Brett will update the plan.

[edit] Adjournment

Next Board Meeting: January 2, 17:30

Moved by Brett Wuth, seconded by Igor Grujic to adjourn. Carried.

Adjourned at 18:55.

Personal tools